- 1 can (4 oz.) Maesri brand red curry paste
- 1 can (13.5 fl. oz.) Chef’s Choice brand coconut milk, divided
- 1.5 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thigh
- 1.5 lb. green beans, potatoes, or kabocha squash
- 3 tbsp Tiparos brand fish sauce, divided
- Thai basil or kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- Palm sugar (optional)
- Clean chicken thoroughly, trim fat, and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Rinse the green beans if using. Trim the edges and cut into 2-inch pieces. If using potatoes or squash, rinse, skin, and dice them into 1/2-3/4″ cubes.
- Set a large pot over high heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Scoop the thick layer of coconut cream from the top of the can, approximately ½ cup. Stir until half of the cream evaporates, being careful not to burn it.
- Add the curry paste and 1 tbsp of fish sauce. Stir until the mixture thickens again being careful not to burn it.
- Add the chicken and stir occasionally.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp of fish sauce when the chicken is almost cooked through.
- When the chicken is done, add the green beans if using and cook until the beans turn bright green.
- Add the remainder of the coconut milk and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 1 minute. If using potatoes or squash, add them now, and cook on low heat until they become soft.
- If using basil or lime leaves, toss them in just before serving.
- If using kabocha squash, sprinkle in a bit of the palm sugar to taste.